Coffee is one of the most famous and popular drinks in the world. The rules for its preparation have already been transformed into a whole culture that continues to evolve. In this regard, the profession of a barista, that is, a specialist in the preparation of coffee and beverages based on it, is becoming increasingly in demand. And we will talk about the best sorts of coffee beans in this review.
What you need to know before buying coffee beans
For residents of Russian-speaking countries, coffee is often associated with astringent unpleasant bitterness, which is better to soften with milk and sugar. This bitterness drink acquires, if for its preparation was taken grain dark roast. But there are nuances. Dark roasting itself is not bad, it all depends on the quality of the grain. With the help of dark roasting, for example, you can hide such defects as moldy or insect-infected coffee beans that give the drink a sharp unpleasant taste, or by frying until dark, you can give the mediocre grains a more expressive taste. But from the quality dark roasted coffee you get a wonderful tart drink with a pronounced bitterness and tones of cocoa or chocolate on the palate.
Another famous association is "Sour coffee". There are also nuances. Acidity is an important part of the taste of coffee, along with bitterness and sweetness. There are varieties with more pronounced acidity, but it does not make the drink unpleasantly sour. “Sour” can be instant coffee, but here it should be understood that poor quality coffee beans are initially sent to produce this category of coffee, which have a simple flat taste, or defective or unripe beans that make instant coffee just so unpleasantly “sour”.
First of all, coffee is loved and appreciated for its ability to quickly invigorate the body and mind. But for coffee gourmets, even more important aroma and taste of coffee.
Therefore, if you want to drink really delicious coffee, and not just an invigorating bitter drink, then it is better to give preference to the coffee category. Specialty, ie, high quality. Specialty can only be Arabica, which was grown at an altitude of more than 1 thousand meters. The fact is that in such adverse conditions, coffee trees are actively fighting for survival, giving all their juices to fruition. In addition, coffee of such quality can be traced to the growing region, farm, and even harvest time. Specialty coffee necessarily passes sorting from defects and special processing. The share of this category is only 10% of the total arabica produced.
But the main difference of specialty coffee from the so-called commercial - This is a rich flavor bouquet. The fact is that for coffee produced on an industrial scale, they use lower-quality varieties and unripe berries, moreover, in essence, they are a mixture of different varieties from the whole region or even a country, therefore, the coffee individuality is lost as a result.
In general, all the coffee that is sold in stores is commercial, but even here you can find decent producers who make a good product. About them and will be discussed in this ranking.
Top coffee bean grades
|1||Molinari Qualità Rosso||9.9 / 10||2 000|
|2||Julius Meinl Wiener Mokka||9.8 / 10||530|
|3||Blasercafé Lilla e Rose||9.8 / 10||600|
|4||Tasty Coffee Barista||9.7 / 10||1 200|
|5||Lavazza Qualità Oro||9.6 / 10||1 300|
Molinari Qualità Rosso
2,000 (1 kg, soft pack)
Molinari is an Italian roasting company that began its history in the nineteenth century. Now Molinari exports its product to almost all countries, gaining world fame. The products of this company differ from industrial Italian coffee and occupy the premium segment of the coffee market.
In the assortment there are mixes with robusta, which will appeal to lovers of strong invigorating coffee. One such mixture is Qualità Rosso. This blend of Arabica and Robusta in the ratio of 75% to 25% has a pleasant aroma, rich tart taste and chocolate aftertaste, and dark roasting makes this blend ideal for making milk drinks: cappuccino, lat, espresso macchiato.
9.9 / 10
Good grain coffee for those who love strong invigorating and rich coffee. The coffee machine turns out very tasty, especially with milk.
Julius Meinl Wiener Mokka
530 (250 g, soft packaging with a valve)
The story of the brand Julius Meinl (Julius Meinl) began in the second half of the 19th century. The company became the ancestor of the famous Viennese coffee culture, to this day recreating the atmosphere of old Vienna in its coffee houses. The company logo (silhouette of a Mauritian) is recognizable around the world, it is a tribute to the historical influence of the Ottoman Empire, which brought coffee to Austria.
In the assortment there are both mono-varieties and coffee blends. Wiener Mokka is 100% Arabica from Cerrado (Central Brazil) Viennese roast. The aroma contains freshly baked bread and dried fruits, the taste is rich, chocolate with notes of hazelnut.
9.8 / 10
Excellent coffee beans, we take to the office, the aroma and taste immediately adjusts to work.
Blasercafé Lilla e Rose
600 (250 g, soft package with degassing valve)
The Swiss company Blasercafé consists of two parts. The first, Blaser Trading AG, purchases and sells green coffee, and the second, Blasercafé AG, directly roasts. In addition to the varieties of the Specialty class, Blasercafé offers a diverse range of coffee bouquets that can satisfy even the most sophisticated coffee-lovers.
One of the most popular items in the assortment is the Lilla e Rose coffee bouquet. This blend consists of 80% of selected arabica and 20% of washed robusta. Roasting - darker than average. The aroma felt flowers, honey with caramel and hazelnuts. The taste is balanced by bitterness and acidity. This coffee beans will be the best choice for lovers of moderately bitter coffee.
9.8 / 10
My favorite sort of grain coffee. Cappuccino from it turns out very tasty, by bitterness - that is necessary. And the flavor is just magical.
Tasty Coffee Barista
1,200 (1 kg, vacuum pack with degassing valve)
Tasty Coffee is a Russian roasting company that is gaining popularity, including working with specialty category coffee. In their assortment there are coffee blends and mono-varieties both for cooking in an espresso machine, and for preparation by alternative methods. The company carries out wholesale deliveries to coffee shops, bars, restaurants, pastry shops, as well as to retail stores throughout Russia, you can buy coffee for the home and in the online store.
One of the sales hits is the Barista espresso mix. This is a blend of 100% Arabica from Brazil, Guatemala and Ethiopia medium roast, with a pure, sweet and creamy taste with a slightly sour, honey aftertaste and caramel notes in aroma.
9.7 / 10
Great mix. Caramel aroma is very pleasant. Universal coffee, everyone likes: both home and guests.
Lavazza Qualità Oro
1,300 (1 kg, vacuum packaging)
Next in our ranking - Lavazza - the leader in the Italian coffee market, and one of the most popular brands in the global coffee industry. Lavazza imports coffee from all countries involved in its cultivation, and, in addition to its own sales, collaborates with such global coffee chains as Starbucks and Caribou Coffee.
One of the most popular blends of Lavazza is Qualità Oro. This is a mixture of Arabica from Central America and Brazil medium roast. The aroma of the blend is floral and fruit tones, on the palate there are sweet notes of malt and honey, pleasant sourness.
9.6 / 10
For me, as for an inexperienced coffee lover, fits perfectly. No strong bitterness or acid, like.
How to choose a good coffee bean?
Many factors influence the taste of a cup of coffee:
- Where and in what conditions grew coffee.
- Variety of coffee, the degree of ripeness of coffee berries and the time of their collection.
- The method of processing coffee berries, storage of the obtained beans and their transportation.
- The degree of roast coffee beans.
- Single variety (one type of coffee) or coffee bouquet (a mixture of two or more types of coffee).
- The method of preparation of the drink.
- The degree of grinding coffee beans and water quality.
Therefore, choosing coffee, you should remember the following points:
- The taste of the future drink affects coffee growing region, which, in turn, is divided into terroirs, that is, areas with different mineral composition of the soil, microclimate, location of the coffee plantation relative to sea level. Because, the higher the coffee tree grows above sea level, the more juice the coffee berry will fill, and the richer will be the aromatic potential of the future coffee bean.
- Variety of coffee - This is not the same as the type of coffee. The type of coffee is Arabica or Robusta (these are the main and most common types), and the variety is, for example, Jamaica Blue Mountain (arabica grown in Jamaica). Arabica is more aromatic and delicate in taste, and Robusta contains more caffeine, which is why it is often added to coffee blends for greater strength.
- Of washed coffee (processed by the wet way) it turns out drink with brighter acidity, than from the coffee processed by the dry way.
- The taste of coffee depends on degree of roasting grains: the darker the roast, the more bitterness will be in the drink, and vice versa, the lighter the roast, the more pronounced the taste will be acidity.
- Choosing monosort, you can fully appreciate all the taste richness of one type of coffee. BUT mixture (blend, blend, bouquet) interesting just a variety of flavors and aromas. In this issue, you can draw a clear analogy with winemaking, where there are also varietal and blended wines.
- There are different coffee making methods: classic (in espresso machine) and alternative (Turk, purover, Kemex, aeropress, French press, geyser). If you take one type of coffee and make it in different ways, you get different drinks, but with common features in flavor and taste. The most intense get a drink prepared according to the classics.
- Accordingly, different methods are needed for different cooking methods. grain grinding degree: for making coffee in the Turk coffee you need to do it very finely, and for making it in a geyser coffee maker, on the contrary - large.
- Keep coffee better in grain, because ground coffee loses its freshness very quickly. Grain coffee will remain fresh for 1-2 months after roasting, provided it is stored in an airtight, opaque bag with a flap that will protect the coffee from sunlight, moisture, oxidation and foreign odors.
Knowing these simple rules, you can choose the most suitable coffee, so that its taste and aroma always brings only pleasure, as well as charged with cheerfulness and good mood.